Monday, July 14, 2008

The C word.

Well, which one?

Where I come from, there are many C words.

A few years ago, I did a large cross stitch for Taryn's babies. It was an entire alphabet of teddy bears, each holding a letter.
As much as I really enjoyed doing it, I sewed so much that I had to wear Band-Aids on my fingers because I'd sewed holes into them.

It took me around a week to complete each bear, so this gave me plenty of time to meditate upon each letter as I sewed.

What I discovered was that there are some letters that I just do not like.
I don't like C, F, H or N.

But especially the letter C.
And that's a pity, because C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

But it's also for a lot of other things too, isn't it?
Many, many horrible words begin with this most reprehensible letter.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Some of my least favourite C words are to follow:

  • church
  • Catholic
  • Christian
  • corn
  • commitment
  • conform
  • Caesarian
  • carbuncle
  • corrosive
  • control
  • caveat
  • circumcise
  • conquer
  • corrupt
  • contusion
  • contrary
  • contract
  • contradict
  • consecrate
  • conflict
  • confectionery
  • concubine
  • condolence
  • condone
  • comply
  • complicate
  • circus
  • compulsory
  • conceited
  • compare
  • common
  • commodity
  • contaminate
  • commando
  • command
  • coca cola
  • cold
  • coercion
  • clot
  • closed
  • constipate
  • chastity
  • clutch
  • clause
  • cliche
  • clammy
  • chronic
  • cigarette
  • choose
  • contagious
  • choke
  • cheap
  • chase
  • chastise
  • challenge
  • chagrin
  • ceremony
  • cathartic
  • caustic
  • celibate
  • censure
  • contempt
  • censor
  • caution
  • cauterize
  • catch
  • casualty
  • castrate
  • catarrh
  • castigate
  • conventional
  • casket
  • cancer
  • carrion
  • carnage
  • convulsion
  • council
  • coward
  • carnival
  • carnivore
  • cardinal
  • cramped
  • carcass
  • captivity
  • callous
  • cretin
  • calamity
  • cadaverous
  • cabbage
  • crass
  • caravan
  • chide
  • chemical
  • coffin
  • clumsy
  • collide
  • curse
  • colon
  • collar
  • conceal
  • cruel
  • complicate
  • criticise
  • complain
  • confiscate
  • cystic
  • condemned
  • crushed
  • crowded
  • congest
  • cry
So, even if you just skimmed that list, it's easy to see that cunt is the least of our concerns.

Concern. Better add that.

And cross stitch doesn't count; it's 2 words.

6 comments:

clairbear said...

Clair???????

John Patten said...

You know, that post would be excellent if made into a picture book for adults. High hilarity!

I don't like C words either, primarily because the letter is fucking useless when playing scrabble.

gretchenaro said...

Cleveland

babooneye said...

i don't like the letter R.... I wish i did it is the first etter of my first name. ho hum

Auntie Simone said...

'dat you, kiddo?

gretchenaro said...

babooneye is my friend Rachel who is cursed with a bizarre sense of humor and therefore enjoyed your blog.