Monday, May 12, 2008

Lots of love, you dog, Clair.

If you arrived home to discover not one, but two hand written letters from the same person waiting for you in the kitchen, you would most likely be surprised.

And rightly too.

For one thing, who posts two letters to the same person at once?
No, the government doesn't count. Anyway, I think they use machines, don't they?

Apart from that, who actually takes the time to write letters these days?

Well, there's always one, isn't there?

And I always seen to have befriended them. Or to have been befriended by them.
Not exactly sure about that dynamic. I'm still too busy enjoying it.

And even if you accept that quirky people are an important and cherished part of my life, who starts a letter with, "Hi Trollop!", anyway ?

And why aren't there more people like that?
I'm not going to get my crackers in a twist about it though, because I happen to know that there's at least one more on the way.

Trollop?

Bloody hell! I'd forgotten all about that word.
But I like it. I really, really like it.
It's no twat of course, but I'm bringing it back nevertheless.

Lurking beyond the glamorous salutation, the contents were informative, accusative and then insulting - if you think that being referred to as "FUCKING SIMONE!" is insulting.
I don't.
I'd never have survived.

Finally, this marvel of modern science was signed off with,

"Lots of love,
you dog,
Clair
xoxo"

Now, call me sentimental, but at this point I teared up and sheepishly snuffled my way to the tissues. I then thanked my lucky stars that I have friends who can say I love you in so many ways.
And that I have friends who choose to do so.

Most of you know that all those God-awful, phoney, mainstream Hallmark friendship blurbs in cards nauseate me.
And they make me cranky because I feel as though they say what they should and what's expected, rather than having any real respect for the concept of friendship itself.

To hit the nail on the head, all you need ever do is simply acknowledge what's shared and remarkable between two people. To let your thoughts and feelings for someone become generic is such a terrible waste.

So, to be approached by an adored friend with such absolute confidence and freedom of expression is truly remarkable.
It shows me that the friendship is very real. And that it's ours to keep.

Hallmark be damned.


BTW Clair, you're really something, but get a dog up ya, ya dirty twatted mole.
xoxoxo

4 comments:

clairbear said...

I should have known that card would have been the one that you would like the best :-)

Both were from the heart of course. I can't help it when I write them. Something takes over and makes the pen move. I was laughing as I wrote that one! So glad it tickled your cockles.

Auntie Simone said...

mmmmmmmmm, say cockles again...

Auntie Simone said...

mmmmmmmmm, say cockles again...

Auntie Simone said...

mmmmmmmmm, say cockles again...