Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reading me to sleep.

Almost every night, I ask/hassle/manipulate Hell Boy into reading to me as I fall asleep.

And I'm wicked enough to expect him to read to me from books of my choosing rather than his.
Not that I don't like his material, but my final thought at night is better off not being Charles Bukowski practising to be a bum.
That's a day time thought.

I suspect that I fall asleep during the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, but he tells me that he reads 2 pages, no matter what.
I have woken up and roused on him before for not reading to me, just as he's turning his light out after completing the task. TWSS

In just the last few months, poor ole Hell Boy has read to me from the following texts:

  • 20,000Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne ( he liked that)
  • Mary Poppins - P.L. Travers (he hated it)
  • Secret Lives of Great Authors - Robert Schnakenberg
  • Around the World in Eighty days - Jules Verne
  • Howl's Moving Castle -Dianna Wynne Jones ( he liked that)
  • The Lucy Family Alphabet - Judith Lucy (he liked that but won't admit it - he read more than 2 pages and I suspect he finished the chapter silently)
  • In His Own Write - John Lennon (he liked that)
  • The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • The Wise Woman - Phillippa Gregory
  • What Katy Did - Susan Coolidge ( he hated it)
  • Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
  • A Life - Woody Guthrie - Jow Klein
  • Slaughter-House Five - Kurt Vonnegut ( one of his faves - no problem there)
  • Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin ( he liked that)
  • Romulus My Father - Raimond Gaiter
  • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - Judith Kerr
  • any number of John Marsden books (hated them)
  • and most recently, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie - May Gibbs (he's really hating it)
Additionally, we listened to 6 CD's of Jane Austen novels whilst driving down and then up the south coast on our holiday recently.
His idea.
Sense and Sensibilty and then Persuasion.

Poor, poor man.

For someone who hates anything without the gritty immediacy of Bukowski or the quirkiness of Vonnegut, I have really been punishing him.

This is made far worse when you consider that he reads aloud to classes during the day - usually having to project his voice to kids who haven't read anything since Little Golden books and who never have any intention of doing so.
Having spent the last 13 years of my own work constantly speaking, I know that there are some days you just don't want to utter another syllable.

The other night as I plonked my book on his chest, he groaned and told me that he didn't think he could because that Year 10 class had taken it out of him - he'd read aloud to them for 2 sessions.
Naturally I suggested that he go back and tell this Year 10 that they were to have 2 pages less per session so that he would be OK to deal with me in the evenings. TWSS

I will be doing a nice afternoon tea for them at the end of the term if they comply with my wishes....

I'm thinking orange poppy seed cake, maybe lemon and sour cream cake and perhaps fairy cakes, just so I can see how many of these tough guys will eat them. That's what...ahh you know.

1 comment:

gretchenaro said...

As if I don't love Jeff enough! Do you know how many times Dominick has refused to read to me? harrumph.